Lockdown reflections



I thought I'd share a poem that I wrote as my reflections of lockdown.  I've kept a creative journal as a way of trying to make sense of this surreal journey we've all found ourselves on.  This Blog has been a great space to connect and share, to be creative and playful.  Have a great summer everyone.


Reflections
Sharp peaks of the highs reflect the lows,
At first erratic and variable,
But for now, a gently ebbing wave
Balancing out like the fall and rise
Of my own living breath.
The force of life is felt keenly as
A sharp intake of breath is
Balanced by a sigh.
The pain and fear of dying,
A life nearly spent.
I brace myself, buckling in for the ride
And pause to reflect on this act
Of self-protection.
What is to come?

I see vivid, crystal blue water then
My eyes dive down, into the depths,
Dark and murky for a while.
My eyes adjust and shadows become outlines,
Lines that connect, making sense
Of the tangle of contagious emotions and memories.
A thread to untangle …. or unravel?
A lifeline of understanding
I pull myself to the surface.
Back beneath the sunshine, and the backdrop
Of clear blue skies,
I see her clearly now.
Helping the mother of my childhood.
Pulling sheets, laundry fresh from the line.
No longer tugging and jolting
But moving in gentle synchronicity,
My way then hers.
I return what she gave, as a gift
And take responsibility for myself.
That little girl has grown,
A little at a time.



Author:  Louise Flower

Comments